But what are these for?

I have some profound and Buddhist thoughts on my weekend, but they will have to wait until later. I have been reading Ser's blog, which is way more beautifully written than I could ever even imagine doing myself. Nonetheless, I am now inspired to write down stories about my favorite fellow Drew for remembrance's sake 'cause I can barely remember my phone number.

Drew is getting changed into his pyjamas last Thursday. He points to his nether regions and says: "Mom, what are the balls for?" I say, in my best instructional voice "They're your testicles. They're called balls because they look just like balls rolling around in there." (And they do. I never noticed this in men.) Reply "But no, what are they FOR?" Wild thoughts of birds-and-bees lectures flash into my head. I try to be straightforward and tell him that's where men make half of babies. You know, blah blah, only women can grow the babies inside them, and only men contribute to babies from their balls. I am really hoping that I don't have to go any further into the details at this point. He replies, in his six year old sagacity: "Oh, so that's where I keep my DNA!" End of discussion.

Comments

eva said…
ok, that is effin hilarious lynn, the best ever. maybe you and ser can start a "who's kid says the funniest stuff" competition.
Ser said…
Oh Lynn, that is so funny. Drew is indeed the son of scientists. I have been needing my "serious instructional voice" a lot with Luke lately. Yesterday he asked me if girls have hairy vaginas, too, or if it is just women.
Nancy Gift said…
Just earlier today, I was making fun of Brian because when he was explaining the mating robber flies on our car this weekend, he told Emily that the male was trying to pass his DNA on to the female. Now I read this, and I'm just glad to know there is some nice, odd boy out there whose view of what mating is will be just as scientific as my daughters. :)

Popular Posts